Parking for Commencement Weekend
Although the University has made additional parking spaces available on campus for guests over Commencement Weekend, please keep in mind that the University is expecting an unprecedented number of people on campus for Commencement Weekend 2022, as we welcome back our Class of 2020 alumni and their families as well as our 2022 graduates. For this reason, parking spaces will be significantly limited, and guests should consider this when making plans.
You should be prepared to walk a distance from your parking area, so consider wearing comfortable shoes and provide plenty of time to arrive for events. You may want to consider using public transportation or arranging a ride share instead of driving to campus.
The University has made additional parking spaces available on campus. However, due to very high traffic volume and street closures, parking is challenging during Commencement Weekend and we ask that you plan accordingly when arriving for events and activities.
You may leave your car in any of the University lots at any time from Friday at 5:00 pm through the end of the weekend. The largest lot on campus is the Power Street lot (both lower and upper levels) at the corner of Power and Thayer streets. The top-level entrance is on Power Street; the bottom-level entrance is on the corner of Williams and Brook streets. Additional parking is available at The Wheeler School, 216 Hope St. in Providence, and Hope High School, 324 Hope St. in Providence, from Friday evening through Sunday evening, May 27-May 29. (Visit the link to the printable campus map below.)
- Carry comfortable shoes for walking to and from your vehicle.
- Remember to lock your vehicle, whether it is on the street or in a lot, and do not leave items, such as gifts for graduates or luggage, exposed.
- Even though hourly parking restrictions are waived for Commencement/Reunion Weekend, do observe the city’s parking laws and emergency no parking signs. Any car parked in a temporary emergency no parking tow zone, in marked handicapped spaces without a placard, in violation of a fire hydrant, blocking driveways, or obstructing Brown police or Providence police sawhorses will be towed at the owner’s expense.
- Parking is prohibited on George Street from Prospect Street to Brown Street, on Brown Street from George Street to Benevolent Street, and on Waterman Street from Prospect Street to Thayer Street. Also, there is no parking on Providence city streets from 2:00 am to 5:00 am.
Please remember to lock your car, whether it is on the street or in a lot. Do observe city parking laws; any cars parked in a temporary emergency no parking tow zone, in marked handicapped spaces without a placard, in violation of a fire hydrant, blocking driveways, or obstructing Brown Police or Providence Police sawhorses will be ticketed or towed at owner’s expense. There is no parking on any Providence city street from 2 a.m. - 5 a.m.
Shuttles will be available to transport guests from the Jewelry District neighborhood, southwest of Downtown Providence, to the main campus during Commencement and Reunion Weekend. Please note: masking is required on all Brown University shuttles.
Shuttle operating hours
Friday, May 27: 5-10 p.m.
Saturday, May 28 and Sunday, May 29: 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
Shuttles will operate on a continual loop during operating hours.
- George Street between Brown and Thayer
- Lot 200 (200 Dyer St.)
- Lot 222 (280 Richmond St.) near the Warren Alpert Medical School
Download the BrownU App to view the shuttle's location in real-time.
Two handicapped designated lots (lots 76 and 44) are available for those who completed the handicapped parking form by May 1. Passes will be mailed out in May to those who reserved a space.
Drop Off Passes are recommended for individuals who will be transporting guests with mobility concerns who are able to navigate the campus themselves. These passes allow individuals to drop guests off near the College Green on Commencement Day. Drivers then park their vehicle on campus or in the local area. This pass does not provide any reserved parking for the holder.